21 April 2013

random thoughts. my favorite.

Just had a garage sale yesterday, and I am remembering again that it is far easier to spend money than to make it.  I am exhausted.  And just when the last customer saunters away and you feel like you can't move one more muscle, you see the depressing reality of how much STUFF is left to pack up, take to the thrift store, take to consign, and take (shudder) back to the basement.  The kids had a blast, though.  The garage sale was a collaboration between our family and two others who are the salt of the earth, and my kids love their kids.  For them it was a giant play date of the highest order- very loosely supervised and culminating in pepperoni pizza.

I'm contemplating instituting a new rule: no yelling on Sundays.  Four of the five members of our family needed that rule today.  And to help that happen, I want to set out clothes for church the night before.  And possible bribe people.  Because it takes me too long to shake off the yucky before I can worship God and have my heart ready for learning, when we've all been nasty and impatient.  And that's what our morning was like today- me muttering a quick prayer over my children as we walked into the front doors of church, that we would forget and forgive and be ready to really worship.  How cliche that lost shoes and whiny attitudes make us run late and ruin our morning.  But it's true: our sin is not original.  At least, not in the creative sense of the word. So next week, I will be intentional and prepared.  Early to bed! Clothes negotiated and at the ready!  Attitudes adjusted! I'll keep you posted, if you remind me not to be cynical of the odds of success.

Okay, to the more random: Crosby is napping in his crib, and starting the night in his crib.  Beautiful.  Cleaned the kitchen in peace, with both hands free, tonight.

Got the kids to pitch in with sorting Mount Laundry today.  We made a molehill out of a mountain.  But... more loads are coming and I am not sure we can keep up for any length of time.

Bought new flip flops.  Totally what I wanted, brand new with tags on, from a local posting on facebook "for sale" site.  At a fraction of full price.  Booyah!  Told you it was easy to spend money! And fun.

Talked to G about how he treats little sister.  It had been a bad day in sibling land.  Told him to think about how the world says the older, stronger, and bigger get to act.  Told him how Jesus acted to those who were weaker, younger, smaller.  Said he could choose which way to copy: Jesus, or the world.  Five minutes later when they brought library books to the couch for read aloud time he piped up that I could read little sister's book first; he could wait.  My heart swelled.  Now, one gracious act will not heal all the wounding from the demeaning, demanding behavior from the idolized big brother.  But it's not his job to heal all that- she will need Jesus to do that.  Because that's something that drives us to the cross, right?  How the messed up world- even our messed up families- fail us.  Hurt us.  And out of this sibling relationship G will be driven to Jesus, too.  Because he will need forgiveness for the ways he's hurt her.  Thank God that the people he puts us with are like big neon arrows pointing to Jesus. Praying that my kids will recognize those arrows early.

Went to the park with all four kids this evening.  Even used the iphone to "embrace the camera,"  using my new crush, instagram.  Now if only more of my friends would use it...

Okay, gotta go.  G is having one of his night terrors again, and we are combatting it by letting him fall back to sleep watching "Storm Chasers" on the couch with Craig.  Lovely. Well, at least tomorrow isn't Sunday... ;)
Rejecting a little love from the sis on his first birthday.



No comments:

Post a Comment