23 July 2013

grabbing the bull by the horns, then hanging the horns on the wall

I'm doing a better job, and want to do an even better job, at following through with my ideas and creating things on a regular basis.  I have a need to be creative, to be human, to be myself, to be something more than a cook and maid and driver.  It's all well and good to pour myself out for the children, but I would like to get a refill once in a while, and being creative does that for me.

Maybe this is true of everyone?  Or are some people wired more that way than others?  Well, at any rate,  I was feeding that need (poorly) by trolling Pinterest and pinning ideas that excited me.  Not bad, but better is stopping now and following through on the best of those ideas.  I have, um, many pins.  Plenty of inspiration.  Now I am going to siphon some of that into a good does of doing.

That has prompted me to learn something about myself.  The side of me that wants to be artistic and free-spirited, and the side of me that craves order and structure and symmetry, are having a hard time working together to design a gallery wall in my living room.  And Pinterest is not much help here: there are just too many images of gallery walls on the interwebs.  I like many of them- both the careful, symmetrical, and matchy, and the organic, messy, and varied.  I think I am going to just have to throw one up on the wall using 3M Command hooks so that I can juke past my perfectionistic defenses and move on.  

We've lived here seven years and need more on the walls. It's time to commit.

I'll let you know if I survive the pressure.


No comments:

Post a Comment